Tuesday, November 29, 2011

I am now officially over 60

It hardly seems possible to me that I am now 60 years old. I don't really feel 60 and I hope I don't act too old. I am happy to be the age I am. I am not ashamed to tell people my age, I am proud to have made it this far in life. I am really happy to be retired and free to do whatever I want whenever I want. I still haven't settled down to start all the projects that I thought I would. I guess I just needed some freedom to do nothing at all.

I really enjoyed seeing Sacramento's photos of her younger years. I had planned to scan some in to share, but the printer's scanner function is not functioning at all. I do have one to share. This photo was taken for a company newsletter back when I started a new job in 1971. The photographer wanted me to pose with a phone because I was to handle phone calls from the building tenants. When I look at this photo now, I think "you looked pretty good back then." Of course, back then I was very critical of myself and did not think I looked good at all.

Just look at those glasses! Those were real glass glasses, not plastic and they were heavy.
Notice the typewriter in the background. It was an IBM selectric. I did have to use carbon paper to send out invoices. The company used a mimeograph to print up contracts.
My photo for today is a picture of my birthday present from my husband. It is a new coat and I love, love, love it.


Seeing that old photo brought back so many memories. I disliked typewriters. Anyone remember correction tape? I had to type the invoices perfectly as I had to use carbon paper.  I was never a great typist and I remember having to retype those darn invoices over and over. Things are so much easier now with auto correction, spell check, printers, and electronic invoicing.

When I first started to work at Cessna Aircraft in 1973, we still had real blueprints of the drawings. When I left, all the drawings were created electronically. Things have changed so much in my lifetime. I wonder how much will change in the next 60 years?

16 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! I love your old pic - you look so cute! I remember the old electric typewriters with the carbon paper, etc. What a long way office equipment has come! Your coat is so pretty and looks super snuggly - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! I think you look beautiful and happy in both pictures! I love your new coat, it's exactly what is on the menu for this time of year! Looks super warm and cozy.

    I typed a few papers on my grandmother's typewriter. I grew up during my teen years there and they were awhile upgrading to the computer age. Frustrating things!

    Anyway, I hope you enjoyed your day, and here's to many many more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy, happy birthday! You look radiant in your new coat. What a very pretty young girl you were, and what a lovely 60-year-old woman you are now. It's such a pleasure to know you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbi, You looked beautiful then, but even more beautiful now, don't you think age gives us a beauty that comes with experiencing all of the wonderful things our life has given us?

    Your present from your husband is so luxurious looking, wear it with all the glamour you possess!

    Happy Birthday! Revel in being 60!!!
    Lesa
    Always Summer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday, 60 years young!!!!!!!!!! It just gets better!!!!!! You ARE as beautiful now as when you were a girl. And I LOVE your new coat and ring. Your husband & mother are very lucky to have you as their wife and daughter. And I still love, love, love those red boots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday and wow I do love your glasses!
    I used to type on that same typewriter and we also used spirit printers with ammonia and a crank handle they were called Gestetners.

    I am a few years behind you in years and I agree that the number does not define how old we feel or act! Keep that young chick inside you alive!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday, Debbi! You looked beautiful back in '71 and you look lovely now! I had a Selectric typewriter when I was in high school - mine had a "memory" of 7 letters that it corrected with white ribbon inside (kind of like those white-out rollers you can get now).

    What a gorgeous coat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy, Happy Birthday Debbi and YOU DO NOT LOOK 60 at all!! Don't tell anyone...I loved your picture...and I also loved my Selectric typewriter in the 70s, it had to be pried from my hands!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday girl...wow I love that photo of you. Adorable and lovely. You have the same face. I used one of those typewriters too. How about that!!! Love your new coat, it looks great on you. Happy Day, 60 is beautiful.. Dawn xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday! Beautiful coat. I see you even had a "Jacket" on in your earlier picture. I remember all those lovely old office machines too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday!

    Those selectric typewriters were the best. They weren't portable but they were good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday! 60 is not so bad (from personal experience)....it's only a number. It wasn't that long ago that I had to type statements at work. I love having everything done on a computer program (work for a small company)....always hated typewriters (b/c I can't type????) Your new coat looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that picture of you! So pretty. What is it about us that we are always so critical of ourselves. We don't ask for perfection in anybody else, so we do we not only ask it of ourselves, but we demand it?! Sounds like you had a great birthday!Congratulations. Love the coat. It looks so warm!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, Debbie. I'm just now getting a chance to check out your blog. I've seen you around at some other weekly link ups. Sorry I'm posting so late on this post, but I had to tell you I love the photo you posted of yourself on the phone and the coat your husband gifted your with is beautiful. You always look so cheerful...even after the dentist visit (in today's post. lol So nice to meet you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just love your blog. I just retired too and I agree it is funny how the people you spent everyday with for 31 years just drop out of your life.. I am enjoying doing nothing but fun things. I too am happy to be my age. My daughter works for chico in our area and I showed her your outfits. She said you wear them very well.

    ReplyDelete