There are some basics for layering that I will go over before showing the layering examples.
- Use different lengths to create your layers. If all the necklaces are the same length they end up getting tangled and just look messy.
- Have some common element between all the necklaces. For example, stone color, metal color, themes such as hearts, crosses, ect. I think it is easier to keep your metal color similar when you first start layering necklaces, but you can mix metals and have it look great.
- It is easier to create layers with odd numbers of necklaces.
- Don't be afraid to mix expensive pieces with inexpensive pieces.
- Rules are meant to be broken, so experiment and have fun with layering.
The theme of this layered set is Native American. The top necklace is a leather cord with a very old pottery sherd as a pendant. The second necklace is a buffalo head with beads made by a Native American. The last layer is two turquoise necklaces that have been "woven" together. The colors in the turquoise pick up the color in the stones in the buffalo necklace.
The theme of this set is crosses. The first is a cross with a leopard print. Next is a necklace with what looks like a perfume bottle (the necklace should be a bit shorter). Then a cross of amber colored plastic. Finally, the gold cross necklace from the previous picture.
The theme of this is hearts united by metal color. The first necklace is the perfume bottle necklace from the set above. The second is a vintage Nolan Miller heart with floating crystals. The next necklace is actually the longest and layers over the necklace with the tiny hearts. It has 2 long strands with hearts on the end.
Remember when I said you should have an odd number? For this one, it has the appearance of 3 objects even though there are only two necklaces. Here the uniting feature is the rhinestones and the antique gold metal. Both are from Forever 21.
The color gold unites this set. The first necklace is one that resembles a vintage piece, but is new from ebay. The second necklace is the same rhinestone heart from the set above it. The third is one I fell in love with at Forever 21. It is a set of angel wings united by chains. It is a feminine look.
I hope you have enjoyed these examples of layering and will be inspired to do some of your own.
Thank you all for all your nice comments on my blog, I feel so lucky to be a part of the blogging community. After reviewing all the September fashion magazine issues, I realized that I have reached the point where reading and viewing "real people" blogs is much more inspirational than reading the magazines that show fashion that I can never hope to own.